APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 POSITIONS ARE NOW OPEN
We are looking for a Living Seas Research Assistant (voluntary) to join our volunteer team assist with our research throughout the 2017 field season (27th March to 30th October).
What You Will Gain:
Volunteering for the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales at CBMWC is a fantastic opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to marine wildlife conservation and meet new people who share your interests as well as others working in the environment sector. You will learn about the species and habitats in Cardigan Bay, gain experience in field work, research methods, data processing, volunteer coordination and leadership skills. Past volunteers have gone on to further education, work as Marine Mammal Observers and to work for other conservation or Government organisations.
Overall purpose of the role:
Assist with the delivery of our Living Seas research objectives focused on marine megafauna in Cardigan Bay and the Irish Sea.
Tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Assist the Living Seas Science Officer with a range of research projects including assisting with research equipment maintenance and data analysis
- Conducting land and boat based* marine megafauna surveys
- Data entry and maintenance of CBMWC research databases
- Assist the ShoreFin and SeaSeal volunteers with their project
- Assist with volunteer coordination and training – responsible for volunteer shared house
- You may also be asked to assist with other aspects of our work including manning our visitor centre and assisting with community engagement activities
* Boat trips are run by an external company who we collaborate with. They are weather dependent and volunteers take turns to join trips to act as on-board researcher.
Important: The previous project volunteers have worked up to 6-8 hours a day 6 days a week, to ensure surveys can be conducted during periods of good weather and volunteers gain the most out of the experience. Some training and activities may take place outside of normal office hours. Field work can involve long periods outdoors and in inclement weather, wet weather gear is provided. All volunteers are required to attend training and to contribute to all CBMWC activities, tasks and field work.
We are looking for volunteers with the following skills/qualities:
- Research and surveying experience
- IT skills, including Microsoft Office
- Positive, reliable, responsible, conscientious and mature attitude
- Ability to work and live closely with others as part of a small team
- Strong work ethic with an ability to work unsupervised
- Adaptable and patient (particularly as boat work is weather dependent)
- Fluency in English
- Experience of working in a small team
- Leadership experience
- Experience of GIS and Word Press
The successful applicants must be available to start on 27th March and volunteer for the entire field season until 30th October.
An administration fee of £45 will be required from all successful applicants.
Accommodation and expense arrangements
Shared accommodation in a comfortable and fully equipped house will be arranged for successful volunteers (where required) at a cost of £55 per week (includes bills) and a £50 refundable deposit. Deposits will be refunded if the accommodation is left in the same condition it was found in. Please be aware that volunteers share same sex bedrooms. Volunteers are responsible for their own food, travel and accommodation costs.
Due to payment arrangements with the house owners, accommodation costs are required in advance to cover the cost of each block so before applying please ensure that you can cover this and all other expenses.
How to apply:
Download a cbmwc-living-seas-long-term-volunteer-app-form and email it along with a CV and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) outlining how you meet the personal specification and your motivations for applying to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Research Assistant application 2017’ in your subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be assessed so please make sure you complete the form fully, including availability and be sure to attach your CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications is 23:59pm on Sunday 19th February 2017